Saturday, March 10, 2012

Field Experience Day 7- March 9th, 2012

Communication With Colleuges:

On this field experience there was a substitute. On Tuesday my host teacher informed me that on Friday we would be beginning a lesson on basic gymnastics: rolls and such. I was actually really excited to begin this with the students but instead, the students had free play because my host teacher was absent. The substitute did not have any lesson plans to go off of. This is a good example of how it is very important to have backup plans for your substitutes in case of a an emergency absence. It was a good thing that I was there to help the substitute with basic rules of the gym, I was able to assist him.

From this I have learned how difficult it is to be a substitute for a gym class if there are not good lesson plans to go off of. All of this practice in class on writing detailed lesson plans is very important for the future. For a substitute who is not familiar with a school to go in and teach a physical education class is nearly impossible. They would not know the procedures, rules or what the children have been learning. The possibility of needing a substitute can also be a good reason to make sure that your gym is decorated. A decorated gym can display rules and procedures that can help anyone come into the gym and immediately know what is expected of the students.

I think that when I become a teacher I will be sure I have accurate and up to date lesson plans. I would also like to have at least two emergency lesson plans (detailed) in case I was unexpectedly ill or had an emergency. I would decorate my gym and have the rules visibly posted. Lastly, I would have a list of the basic procedures for every class and a few notes that would help the substitute have a successful physical education class.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad you got to experience this and I really like the recommendations you gave yourself. It can happen that you unexpectedly miss a day and in order not to lose the learning time it is crucial to provide guidelines for the substitute.

    ReplyDelete