Reflection of the Lesson:
Today was a Friday and it was beautiful outside so our host teacher took the kids outside to play on the playground. There was no lesson taught but being around and playing with the children was able to show me a lot.
First, it is very important to go over the rules of the play ground before going onto it. Some of the equipment can be dangerous for kindergarteners and so it is always good to make sure they are aware. One thing that the children were doing was jumping off one of the apparatus to the ground. It was quite high up and some of the students needed to be told twice. It would be beneficial to have a consequence for disobeying the rule. This would be beneficial because of maintaining authority and for safety reasons.
Another thing that crossed my mind when I was out on the playground was what the emergency procedure should be if someone was to get hurt on the playground. The playground is only about 50 yards from the school but it may be just far enough to make it difficult to contact someone. We were out there with the host teacher but if you were by yourself, how would you contact help. These were kindergarteners. If it was me, I think I would send one of them (the one I trusted the most I suppose) to run in the school and tell an adult. It is clear that you cannot leave all the students by themselves to get help, but you cannot take them all with you either (especially if time is of the essence). Here is an
Example of "Playground Guidelines" that a school created that covers everything from surveillance to maintenance.
No comments:
Post a Comment