There does not appear to be any students with special needs in the pre k physical education class that I regularly participate in. However, there is a boy that is in the gymnasium before the class and since we are usually there 10 to 15 minutes early most days, we can observe him as well. In my host school, it does not appear that there is a very good physical education program for students with special needs. This boy appears to have autism, but is high functioning. As we come in, he is usually off in a corner playing with some equipment while his aid sits on the bleachers and watches him. The boy appears to be content with playing by himself.
He also appears to be scolded often for lying about certain things. Whether is it about telling another teacher that he has permission to play with certain equipment when he does not, or about breaking another piece of equipment. I believe these are characteristics of his age rather than of a possible disability. I have not yet had much experience with students with disabilities in a gym setting. 's I like to reference PE Central's Adapted Phys. Ed page. I will be taking 356 next semester and hope to learn a lot. In the past I have been a volunteer for the Cortland adapted swim team and taught private swim lessons to a boy with severe AHDH.
![]() |
| Special Olympics Logo |

No comments:
Post a Comment