Monday, February 6, 2012

Field Experience Day 1: February 3, 2012

http://img.sparknotes.com/content/sparklife/sparktalk/bunnyslips_Large.jpg
As I walked into the Elementary school on day one, the first thing I noticed was all of the colors. Colors in the classrooms, in the hallways and in the gymnasium. The second thing that I noticed was that everyone was dressed in pajamas! It was the end of their spirit week and all of the children were dressed in their finest sleep wear. My partner and I were introduced to the secretaries, principal and our host teacher. He was eager to explain the procedures of the class we would be observing and gave us some ideas of what to do with the children. This particular physical education class was for kindergartners and they were allowed to play with whatever they liked. The instructor brought out a lot of equipment and let them have free time. We were encouraged to play with and interact with the students. Although this was not a lesson, it was a good chance for us to get to know the students a bit.

2. Knowledge of Students:
http://www.customcargonets.com/cargo%20net.jpg
As I was able to interact with the students I was able to pick up on some of their strengths and weaknesses. Student 1 was able to throw a ball with high velocity, but poor aim. Student 2 was only able to catch a ball if it bounced first. There were a few girls who chose to spend the whole time on the climbing nets against the wall. They were able to climb up very high, but needed encouragement and some direction on the way back down. The knowledge of students abilities is very important for any instructor. This knowledge will allow them to construct a curriculum that will benefit all students and accommodate all needs. As we continue on throughout the field experience, we will continue to observe, interact and learn the names and abilities of all of the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment